The resources on this page will help you understand the movement, its underpinnings and our future direction. If you're interested in getting involved, please let us know and join the discussion on our forum.
Conrad Wolfram, founder of the CBM initiative, discusses why it's important to rethink maths education, and how adapting it to computers is the future.
Conrad Wolfram assesses how CBM is doing five years on. What has CBM achieved? Where do we go from here?
Conrad Wolfram, founder of computerbasedmath.org, and Jon McLoone, content director of computerbasedmath.org, work through some common objections to Computer-Based Maths education.
Jaak Aaviksoo, former Minister of Education in Estonia, reflects on the first CBM pilot in Estonia, the differences between teaching and learning, and how CBM is pioneering a different type of learning.
Simon Peyton Jones and Andrew Fitzgibbon from Microsoft Research Cambridge explore how coding and maths are related and the arguments for combining a coding and maths curriculum.
Beaver Country Day school shares its use of practical tasks to instigate mathematics and modeling using computers.
Resources you can use today
While we build CBM materials for you to try, here are a number of related activities that aren't CBM but will give a flavour of the technology and activities available in CBM lessons:
- Find solutions to crosswords and other word problems. For example, words that will fit " _ _ t _ _ t e".
- Look at geographical data. For example, see a cross section of Mount Kilimanjaro.
- Step-by-step solutions to traditional maths problems. For example, completing the square (requires Pro version).
Wolfram Programming Lab
Wolfram Demonstrations Project
- See a range of interactives that Mathematica users have created.
- What structures can be made from triangles?
- Basic gaming algorithms—how to win at tic-tac-toe?
More to explore
Here is a range of interesting problems that can be explored. You can find many more on the Wolfram Blog."How to Make a Webcam Intruder Alarm with Mathematica" "Is the Weather Biased?" "Musical Archaeology with Mathematica" "Do Computers Dumb Down Maths Education?" "Mathematica Tests the St. Swithun's Day Proverb" "Self-Description" "25 Best Hangman Words" "Flag Analysis with Mathematica"